Six Surprising Facts About Cosmetic Dentistry to Improve the Look of Your Smile, Dearborn Heights
- Cosmetic dentistry is a highly specialized kind of dental sciences. This involves a study period of at least two years even after completing a course in dental sciences. Cosmetic dentistry involves procedures which will better the facial appearance of the patient in many different ways. This includes treatments like teeth whitening, dental veneers, dental implants, dentures, smile makeovers et al.
- Teeth whitening can be done at home itself. This involves wearing teeth whitening trays which can be manufactured in the dental laboratory after taking an impression of teeth and gums. These are worn over the teeth and gums after smearing them with a whitening gel or lotion. This is done for a given number of hours during the day and a given number of days. However, just like teeth whitening in the dental clinic, this is not a process which is permanent. It can easily be reversed if a person does not look after his or her dental hygiene habits properly.
- Teeth veneers are very thin dental tools which can be used to change the color, shape, and size of the tooth. These are cemented onto the front surface of the tooth for this purpose. Veneers are made of porcelain or with resin, and one can talk it out with the dentist about which variety suits the patient more. Veneers too need to be looked after properly for making them last as long as is possible.
- Dental implants are permanent. With these, the original smile and manner of eating and talking of a person are restored. These can last the entire duration of the lifetime of the patient provided they are taken care of properly. Dental implants are titanium screws which are drilled into the jaw bone of the patient. The jaw bone grows around the implant naturally, and it becomes firm in its position after three to four months. A dental cap or crown is placed atop the veneer to function as the tooth which the world sees. Periodic adjustments are made to the dental implants by the dentist to ensure their smooth working.
- Dentures are artificial teeth. These can last for five to seven years. These need to be changed after this duration since they may become lose or ill-fitting with time. Dentures are a bit obvious to any person who is interacting with the patient. Also, the smile and manner of eating and talking of a person changes with the use of dentures. One should be a little careful with dentures since they alter the facial appearance of the patient by a bit.
- Cosmetic dentistry, as mentioned above involves a higher level of studies. However, these days it is a branch of dental sciences which many dentists wish to pursue since it has a lot of reaches and many of the procedures involved in it are very popular with the masses and the classes of society.
For details contact: Cambridge Dental Group in Dearborn Heights. Call: (313)261-0966.