A naturally-occurring mineral, fluoride has been proven to be very effective in preventing tooth decay and strengthening tooth enamel. Topical fluoride applications can greatly benefit individuals who are at a high risk of experiencing tooth decay.
There are two benefits that fluoride provides for teeth:
- Fluoride attaches to tooth enamel to enhance strength and resistance
- Fluoride restores and remineralizes tooth enamel, reversing the effects of very early tooth decay
Cambridge Dental Group offers patients topical fluoride applications to strengthen their teeth and reduce their likelihood of tooth decay. The application consists of a very simple procedure, and it can be conducted in just one visit to our practice.
Fluoride is applied directly to the teeth in the form of a foam, gel or varnish or by using a tray that is worn over the teeth. After the teeth have been treated, the patient may be required to refrain from eating or drinking anything for at least an hour. This is so that the teeth are able to fully absorb the fluoride.
Patients receive topical fluoride applications for many reasons, including:
- Root surfaces that are exposed or overly-sensitive
- The presence of deep grooves or fissures on the molars
- A poor practice of oral hygiene
- Limited exposure to natural fluoride
- High levels of sugar consumption
- A prior history of tooth decay
- A lack of proper saliva flow
Although fluoride can prevent cavities, it is also critical that the patient remembers to practice good oral hygiene habits by brushing and flossing regularly and receiving professional teeth cleanings at least twice per year.
If you would like to schedule a fluoride treatment for you or you child, give us a call today at (313) 261-0966.